Charting Faster, Not Longer: Tips for More Efficient Medical Documentation
Tips to cut down on charting time. Using templates and macros, dictation, prioritizing tasks, not over-documenting, and using scribes are some of the ways to streamline the process without compromising quality care.
As we all know, documentation is a crucial part of providing quality patient care. However, spending hours charting can be exhausting and take away from the time we have to spend with our patients. That’s why I wanted to share some tips on how to chart more efficiently and cut down on charting time.
Templates and Macros
1. Use templates and macros: Many electronic medical record (EMR) systems allow you to create templates or macros that you can use to quickly fill in common phrases and information. Take the time to create templates for common visits, procedures, and follow-ups. This can save you a significant amount of time and make charting feel less tedious.
Medical Voice Recognition
2. Dictate instead of typing: If your EMR system allows it, consider using voice recognition software to dictate your notes. This can be a faster way to document and can also reduce the strain on your hands and wrists from typing.
Don’t Write a Medical Novel
3. Don’t over-document: While it’s important to provide thorough documentation, it’s also important not to over-document. Stick to the essential information and avoid including unnecessary details. This can help you to streamline your documentation process and make it more efficient.
4. Prioritize your tasks: When you have a long list of charting tasks to complete, it can be overwhelming. To make it more manageable, prioritize your tasks and tackle the most urgent ones first. This can help you to avoid getting bogged down in less important tasks. The same goes for managing your inbox.
5. Use scribes: If your facility allows it, consider using a scribe to help with your documentation. A scribe can help you to document quickly and accurately, allowing you to focus on your patient’s care.
I hope these tips help you to chart faster and more efficiently. Remember, documentation is important, but it shouldn’t take away from the time you have to spend with your patients. Keep the focus on the patient and use these tips to make your documentation process more efficient.
Do you have any other tips for charting faster? Share them in the comments!
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
⚡️ – FREE Chartnote account: https://chartnote.com
🚀 – DOWNLOAD Chartnote Chrome Extension to use Chartnote on any web-based EHR:
📲 – DOWNLOAD Chartnote mobile app:
App Store: https://apple.co/33FgzMn
Google Play: https://bit.ly/3rrMYhk
This article was generated with the help of GPT-3. Image was created with the assistance of DALL·E 2.
Chartnote is revolutionizing medical documentation one note at a time by making voice-recognition and thousands of templates available to any clinician. We know first-hand that completing notes while treating patients is time-consuming and an epic challenge. Chartnote was developed as a complementary EHR solution to write your SOAP notes faster. Focus on what matters most. Sign up for a free account: chartnote.com